The D License is the highest-level license that the state offers. In order to maintain consistency in the delivery, execution, and grading for the “D” License course, which have been established by US Soccer, only approved Maryland Educational Staff can teach the course.
• To prepare coaches working with players 12 years of age and older by expanding their knowledge and understanding of the technical and tactical demands of the game and the developmental process necessary for players of these ages.
• To provide an understanding of practical coaching methodology and the framework necessary to prepare players and a team for competition.
• To prepare coaches for whom this represents their final coaching course, as well as those who plan to continue to further their coaching education.
The “D” License Course is a 36-hour course. Attendance and participation is mandatory at all sessions to pass course.
Mandatory Pre-Course Reading:
1. Best Practices booklet
2. 4v4 to 11v11 progression document.
3. Candidates Guidelines for Evaluation Soccer.
4. Care and Prevention document.
Curriculum (36 hours):
Classroom / Theory: Methods of Coaching, Laws of the Game, Principles of Play, Game Analysis, Reading the Game, Course Summary
Field sessions: When and how to receive/pass, Playing balls in the air, How/when to finish, Goalkeeping (Shot stopping and playing with feet), Attacking in small groups, Transition, Defending in small groups, Practice Coaching, Practical Field Test, Oral Exam, and Written Exam.
All testing must be completed before the end of the course. Attendance at all 36 hours is mandatory
1. There is an oral examination on tactics and methods.
2. There is also a graded take home exam on laws of the game, team management, and care and prevention.
3. There is a practical field test.
4. All testing must be completed before the end of the course.
About 4 weeks after the conclusion of the course each candidate will receive one of the following items mailed to him or her:
1. National “D” license (Eligible to attend a USSF National “C” course after a minimum 1-year waiting period.)
2. State “D” license (Must re-test to receive National “D” after a 6 month wait period.)
3. Not Ready (Must re-take the “D” course)
The candidate should be at least 18 years of age.
The minimum number of candidates is 16. The maximum number of candidates is determined by the size of the facility. The number of candidates is set one week before the course begins. Those wishing to attend the D License course must have successfully completed an E certificate. No walk up registrations will be accepted. There is a six month wait period after earning an E certificate before a candidate can enroll in a D course.
$180 per candidate for coaches of MSYSA teams, $200 for non-MSYSA members. Each candidate will receive a course manual.
Pre-requisite: “E” Certificate (There are no waivers for this course.)
Refund Policy for MSYSA educational courses:
-There are no refunds or course transfers once the course roster is set one week prior to the course.
-Refund request prior to one week before the course will be granted only if a qualified replacement can be found for the course.
Before you apply for a "D" course please make sure you have access to the following information in order to complete the application process:
1. E License number, or
2. If your E license was obtained outside of the state of Maryland, or before 2008 in Maryland, please provide the following information for license verification:
· State E license was issued.
· Date and or year license was issued.
· Location of E license course.
Click here for available courses and to apply
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the state office at 410.768.5401
General: Applicants should bring a soccer ball, training suit, sweat suit, or any form of action clothing, gym shoes, soccer cleats, and writing materials. Candidates are expected to participate in each session.